Thursday, May 20, 2010

Daily Developer: Day 73

Brought over "player" object from my other game and cleaned it up to compile in my new game.  Will work on adding a movable component next.

Duration: 00:20

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Daily Developer: Day 72

Spent some time fiddling with the OptionsManager, the portion that reads and writes options from an XML file.  Have that working again, but the place I moved it to doesn't allow for it to be accessed by other portions of the application.  I'll have to work out a better location for it, or have it return an object that can be passed around.  I'll likely put some effort into that tomorrow, as well as creating a new base for future games.

 Duration: 00:24:52

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 71: Early Morning Fun

I've been getting up earlier the past week or so, and today I woke up even earlier, so I had some time to spend on game development.

Mostly, I was doing some pretty mundane stuff.  I removed some extra things that were left over from my other game but didn't pertain to this one.  I also created a base version copy of the current game to have an easy place to start from when I create other physics based games.

Needed to cut it short this morning, since it was time to take my daughter to school and for me to go to work.  I know I spent at least 10 minutes, possibly 20 on it today.  I'll have to update my tool to automatically save the time to a file when exiting.

Duration: ~20

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Daily Developer: Day 70 -- Back to it again

My first real obstacle with testing my consistency was the preparation of our old house for sale.  Clearly, I was unable to clear the hurdle and have been spending most of my time since on getting the old house ready for sale, buying a new house, moving our stuff from the old house to the new house and putting everything where it belongs.  Now, however, I am finally ready to take the steps back into my daily software development.

Something I noticed about returning was that it was more intimidating than I thought it would be.  Perhaps not intimidating, but I was less inclined to start back up after stopping than I was to simply continue when I had not stopped.  I suppose the whole routine thing does make a difference.

Today, my efforts focused on getting the menu screens into the base game and getting it to run without crashing.  Then, I resolved all the StyleCop issues.  I now have a base game to begin with.  Tomorrow, I will start by labeling the build as a good base and then working the first version of the new game.

Duration: 00:36:44